- Part 1 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: The Influencers
- Part 2 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: The Classics
- Part 3 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: The Communities
- Part 4 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: The Educators
- Part 5 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: Best of Medium
- Part 6 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: Design & UX
- Part 7 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: For Startups
- Part 8 - Product Management Blogs To Follow: Miscellaneous, but not least
NOTE: this is not a complete list. There are some great sites we ended up having to leave on the table—at least for now. And, obviously, there is overlap between these buckets. Most influencers are educators, and most of our favorite Medium writers are influencers, as well. These categories are intended as a loose guide, not pigeonholes. We’re planning to update this list frequently, so let us know if we forgot an essential entry!
To help parse the sheer volume of PM writing out there, we’ve organized this list into categories. And to make it more useful, I also added a short description of the focal point for each blog and added a blog post I think showcases their style, so you can easily choose the ones that will benefit you the most.
The Best of Medium
- John Cutler
John Cutler is a prolific Medium contributor and an awesome source for fast tips. We love his light-a-fire-under-your-ass inspiration. Oh, and he recently published amazing pictures of his 100-day doodle challenge.
- Read this first: 50 Questions I Ask PMs About Data and Their Teams
- Matt LeMay
Matt LeMay is the guy who revamped that totally over-shared product management Venn diagram, and that’s a big reason we like him. Another reason: his blogs are actually helpful and fun to read. He doesn’t just talk about how to be a product manager, but how it feels to work in product.
- Read this first: Product Management in Two Steps
- Brandon Chu
Brandon Chu writes fun, personal posts based on his experiences working for companies like Shopify and Freshbooks. We really appreciate his frank tone and in-the-trenches anecdotes. Plus, he’s Canadian.
- Read this first:MVPM: Minimum Viable Product Manager
- Ellen Chisa
Even though she has only been writing on Medium for a short time, Ellen Chisa has been blogging since 2002. In 2016 she migrated her public WordPress posts to Medium. Ellen, VP of Product @ Lola, has gained a strong following for her insightful writing on some the challenges associated with working in both product and tech, including career frustration and issues of gender diversity.
- Read this first: Engineers: So your PM sucks? Here’s how to fix it.
- Alvin Hsia
Working as a Product Designer @ Airbnb, Alvin Hsia writes about Product Design. Here’s for example what Alvin has learned in his first year as a Product Designer.
- Read this first: The Irrational User
- Jess Ratcliffe
Every (other) week, Jess grabs coffee with an awesome woman working in product, and publishes their conversation on Medium. “Coffee with …” is the name of Jess Ratcliffe’s blog-series, where she interviews badass PM’s over coffee. You can read all interviews on her Medium blog, but starting November 1 she also started publishing the podcasts on SoundCloud. . A great way to (vicariously) get to know your product heroes.
- Read this first: Coffee with Merci Grace
- Bo Ren
Tumblr’s Bo Ren uses Medium to chart her personal journey in product management — but with a caveat: “This is not a how-to guide.” Bo’s writing exemplifies a growing trend in the PM community. Often pointing a spotlight on issues of diversity, she doesn’t just talk about how to develop a PM skill set, but rather offers a series of essays and critiques on the field itself.
- Read this first: Confessions of a PM: 7 ways to disarm the impostor syndrome